Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Time Piece - Product Review: EARTH Wood Goods Watch

Let's get down to Earth for a minute. A while back I posted a review of a watch that I own and now I've acquired a second watch by the same manufacturer, EARTH Wood Goods, so I thought I would offer a more in-depth review of this fine timepiece. The company's website, http://earthwoodgoods.com, shows the vast array of beautiful products that they offer, from watches to sunglasses to bags and wallets made from cork and these products all exhibit honestly incredible craftsmanship and they are all made from sustainable materials. This particular watch that I'll be discussing is the Earth Ew1205 Rhizomes Watch.




I've been wearing this watch for nearly a month now and have gotten many compliments on it. Friends and strangers both remark and comment positively on this watch; it's a hit. Indeed, it is quite a beautiful timepiece, and I've happily shared the EARTH brand with dozens of people already. To me, though, the fact that it is so comfortable to wear and lightweight is really the most appealing aspect of this watch.



First off, when this watch arrived, the wrist band was far too large so I had to remove a few links. Using tools from a kit I bought off Amazon for about ten bucks, I carefully popped the pins out and resized it to my wrist.



Sadly, I did end up destroying one of the removed links in the process, which is exactly why the company's instructions state that they recommend you take it to a watch repair shop or jeweler; however, some jewelers will refuse to work on wood watches for just this reason. Certainly sometimes the links can break, wood is inherently more fragile than metal of course and it certainly takes a delicate touch and patience to resize these watches.Luckily it was only one that cracked.



Doing it yourself, with the ten dollar kit, will save you some money, but you'll have both control over the outcome as well as full responsibility if things go awry. Use your judgement.


 
The wood links are smooth and feel great on my wrist; the fit of the watch after my adjustment has it fitting slightly loosely on my wrist, almost like a bracelet, but the overall balance is still there, so that with just a swift little movement, I can bring the face to the ideal position to tell the time. Another thing I love about the wood links is that they don't pinch in any way; I've had watches in the past with metal links that would, from time to time, painfully pluck a hair from my wrist. Never had that issue with EARTH watches. The links are very sensibly shaped so this isn't an issue.



This watch would look even more epic and outstanding on anyone with thick, meaty, burly wrists. I do my best with what I've got, and honestly, while at first I was concerned that the face would look too big on my skinny wrists, I've truly grown to like the look of this watch on me.

Timekeeping has been solid with this watch over the course of the month I've been wearing it. Time will tell, of course, if the ticking begins to slow or fade; however, the other EARTH watch I own has never given me any issues. It's ticked true for about three years now, so I expect this watch to hold up in much the same manner.

One aspect of this watch that I feel might serve a design revisit is the chrome dashes that indicate the hours, the reflective chrome blends a tad too much into this busy, but beautiful, face, sometimes making it difficult to tell the time. My thought was that perhaps white or black dashes might provide more contrast, although, the watch does also have a border which provides reference as well, really, it's just a matter of personal preference or getting used to the style.

Additional bonus points, the hands are phosphorescent, they glow in the dark, which is a nice added feature on a watch. 

All in all, this is a wonderful watch, by far my favorite watch to wear because of the comfort factor as well as the conversation starter that it provides, the fashionable aspect of a natural wood finish watch, truly can be worn in any setting or with any attire, plus it's a solid and reliable timepiece. Love the very idea of wearing products crafted from wood; that grounded, earthy feel, reminder of nature just feels so good.

It pains me to sound too much like a commercial, but seriously, when I find a product that I love, not just on a personal use level, but also on a level of respect for the company itself, I want to share that. EARTH Wood Goods is an American company using sustainable manufacturing practices, sourcing sustainable materials, that's the kind of company I'm happy to promote.

EARTH Wood Goods Twitter
EARTH Wood Goods Facebook



Thanks for reading this review of this EARTH Wood Goods watch! Peace!
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment